Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It has been said something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.


That was the last question for this quiz I took sometime last month.


If I have a time machine with a one-time only use, would I go back and kill Hitler? Hell no, I won’t! I’m too penakut to do that. Then again, I could just sneak into his room and stab him in his sleep. But would it be a sin to kill Hitler? Rasa macam berdosa. But then again, Hitler itu sungguh jahat! Huhu. To argue with my conscience will take forever, so no, for the purpose of this quiz, I chose not to kill Hitler.

Would I go back and warn the victims of the recent typhoon in Indonesia? I did not choose this answer either. Kerana saya rasa jika saya cuba beri amaran itu, saya mungkin akan dianggap gila. Tiba-tiba ada perempuan pendek yang kononnya dari masa depan yang memberi ramalan ribut taufan? Seperti gila, kan? So, no.

Would I go back and observe some historical happening? Now that would be very interesting, but wouldn’t that be selfish of me? Here I am, given the chance to make a change and all I want to do is watch the Hiroshima bombing? The Tuah-Jebat fight? The rise of Malaysian flag? Tempting as it may be, for the purpose of this quiz, I chose not to be selfish.

So yes, I chose to go back and give scientists various cures for now cured diseases. But to do that I guess I need to bring a stack of science books/journals. Sebab, yalah kan, Science is definitely, definitely not my forte. My STF Chemistry teacher, Puan Lim, even supported my decision to take up Law; that’s how bad I am at Science. Haha.


But have you heard of the butterfly effect? Or watch the movie The Butterfly Effect? (which I really, really like, by the way) It is the idea that “even the mere presence of the time traveler in the past would be enough to change short-term events (such as the weather) and would also have an unpredictable impact on the distant future.”

According to this theory, “no one who travels into the past could ever return to the same version of reality he or she had come from and could have therefore not been able to travel back in time in the first place” Now that is scary. We wouldn’t want that to happen, now do we? So I guess we should just do what all self-help books teach us to do: Accept the past. Focus on the present. Not stress about the future. Cheh easier said than done.

Thanks to Savage Chickens,
(quirky) Cartoons on Sticky Notes by Doug Savage.


Anyways, ingin tahu another (relevan untuk entri ini but) useless fact about me? The Time Traveler’s Wife is one of my favourite books of all time.

No comments: