Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fairytales don't always have a happy ending, do they?


My take on relationship is fairly straightforward. When one is not happy, one should walk out of it. One only got one life to live, so why waste it being unhappy? I walked out from my previous relationships to be happy and alhamdulillah, I am now. Because an ending is another beginning, I thank myself for walking out, both times.

A troubled friend came to me with her relationship problem recently and all I wanted to do was scream “Just walk out before it’s too late!” but I couldn’t bring myself to do so because I can see she is still so much in love.

Tetapi saya tahu, sometimes it’s easier said than done. Terlalu ramai yang terpaksa memilih untuk tidak bahagia kerana baggage, ikatan, masalah, bebanan, keperluan. Itu sebab saya kata, before it is too late, jika benar-benar tidak gembira, sila lari.

Betul, every relationship has its ups and downs but I believe in the end, it all comes down to whether or not you are happy. And happy, well, being happy is purely subjective. Ia tidak bermaksud keadaan riang melompat-lompat setiap masa. Juga bukan setiap masa merasa "pelangi di hari yang cerah dan bintang di malam yang dingin". Bukanlah juga setiap masa merasa "rerama di dalam dada dan selesa di dalam jiwa" atau "hati terasa tidak tertampung akan kelambakan cinta itu". Tetapi ya, perhubungan itu perlulah membawa gembira dan "memberi kekuatan dalam menghadapi hari dan memberi keindahan luar biasa pada perkara biasa".

But then again, what do I know? Saya hanya baru hidup 26 tahun di dunia ini. But Mary Alice (from Desperate Housewives) had something to say about it:

"Have you met the perfect couple? The two soul mates whose love never dies? The two lovers whose relationship is never threatened. The husband and wife who trust each other completely. If you haven't met the perfect couple, let me introduce you. They stand atop a layer of butter cream frosting. The secret of their success? Well, for starters, they don't have to look at each other."

Ngeee. Bukankah benar?

No comments: