Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The kindest word in all the world is the unkind word, unsaid.


Yesterday, my guy friends from Dock Brief made a remark on how nice it is to be a woman. The reason? 1) The (very senior) PO from my court yesterday approached me and before telling me that I did quite a good job, beliau memberi nasihat cara2 menjadi peguambela yang baik dan berkongsi perkara2 yang telah dilakukan oleh peguambela tetapi tidak sepatutnya dilakukan. Anything bizarre, no? Kawan2 lelakiku itu memberitahuku that any PO would not layan them even if they approach PO tersebut dahulu. Itulah ia. 2) I chatted with a senior Indian lawyer who did brilliant mitigations for his foreigners clients. (Mingling session, not my niche but I almost always make an effort). And he eventually gave me his written submissions (for mitigation, which are of course, excellent) as reference before he left the court. He said and I quote “This is not perfect, but it is something.” And for this, Ong kept saying, “Seronoknya jadi perempuan.” Haha. Like, okay?! Hahaha.


Yesterday also, there was this one family, very young wife, suami yang agak berumur, with 4 anak yang masih kecil. The father was charged under DDA. 400 gram heroine!!! Sangat banyak, ok!? Adalah dianggap pengedar. The problem is, mereka kelihatan seperti family yang susah. My point being, jika mahu jadi pengedar, at least jadilah sehingga kaya dan boleh menyenangkan keluarga. No I am not condoning dadah, penagihannya dan apatahlagi pengedarannya. Tetapi, dari lojik akalnya, apakah worth it beliau mengedar dan tertangkap tetapi keluarganya tidak pernah dan tidak akan hidup senang. So the father was charged today, and one of the possible sentences is MATI, dan anak2nya mendengar itu. Kemudiannya, seisi keluarga mengangis teresak-esak di luar mahkamah, anak sulungnya malah meraung-raung. Real life drama. Bergenang air mata aku menyaksikannya. Moral: Jangan buat jahat. Hidup sekali saje, maka hiduplah dengan bahagia dan diredhai.



Ooh ooh, happy becoming birthday (it's tomorrow!) to my darling, beloved friend, Nurul Ain Emran, or more cordially known as Ayin. I wish you a happy and blessed life. I love you so much! Ooh satu lagi, by the way, check out the title of this post. Cool eh? Unkind words unsaid. Manusia sekarang ni banyak sangat yang mulutnya seolah-olah insured ribu-ribu a la JLo's butt. Tidak menyenangkan telinga yang mendengar, hati yang terpaksa menerima. Bottom line: I miss my friends. And Ayin!


********************************************************


Before I go, I am leaving you guys with my favourite portion from Tuesdays With Morrie (I even drew a star beside this bit), diolah gayanya oleh yours truly untuk memudahkan pemahaman anda semua.

Mitch (The protagonist, asked Morrie who has been lying sick for so long): What if you had one day perfectly healthy? What would you do?

Morrie (He is the ‘hero’): 24 hours?

Mitch: 24 hours.

Morrie (The wise man answered): Let’s see. I’d get up in the morning, do my exercises, have a lovely breakfast of sweet rolls and tea, go for a swim, then have my friends come over for a nice lunch. I’d have them come one or two at a time so we could talk about their families, their issues, talk about how much we mean to each other. Then, I’d go for a walk, in a garden with some trees, watch their colours, watch the birds, take it in the nature that I haven’t seen in so long now. In the evening, we’d all go together to a restaurant with some great pasta, maybe some duck – I love duck- and then we’d dance the rest of the night, I’d dance with all the wonderful dance partners out there, until I was exhausted. And then I’d go home and have a deep, wonderful sleep.

Mitch:
That’s it?

Morrie: That’s it.

Mitch (thinking to himself): It was so simple. So average. I was actually a little disappointed. I figured he’d fly to Italy or have lunch with the President or romp on the seashore or try every exotic thing he could think of. After all these months, lying there, unable to move a leg or a foot, how could he find perfection in such an average day?

Then I realized this was the whole point :-)

No comments: