Friday, June 12, 2009

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong


Pernah tak hadapi hari yang everything goes wrong dari pagi sampai ke petang? That, my friend, is what Murphy’s Law is all about. Murphy’s Law is an adage accepted in the Western culture that "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Pagi ini, saya terlewat ke Mahkamah. Kemudian, apabila sudah hampir tiba, tersedar bahawa both of my blazers were at the office; called my friends untuk meminjam but Mazia was in KL and Elin didn’t pick up. So I had to make a detour to the office and asked my secretary to bring it down to the lobby. Sampai Mahkamah, the Judge has already stepped out of his Court. It’s a good thing that (almost) all of the Court staffs here are helpful, hence problem solved. On the way to the office, hit something lalu tayar pancit sepenuhnya. Sampai office, I learned one upsetting (and shocking!) news that I am not in the position to reveal here. But yeah, it is U-P-S-E-T-T-I-N-G! Sigh. And the day isn’t over yet, people.

Kindred Spirit saya pernah yakinkan saya bahawa we human are creatures of adaptation. We can adapt to the changes all around us. We better be; kalau tidak, hidup akan jadi terlalu sukar. We can wake up one day to find that ASTRO has discontinued the rerun of FRIENDS (gasp!) The whole blocks of the apartment we live in could be burnt overnight. Or worse, something bad could happen to someone we love in a blink of an eye. Tapi untuk teruskan hidup dengan tenang, kita perlu juga cuba adapt.

Adaptive people (if there’s such term) akan hadapi hidup dengan lebih mudah. Kereta rosak and late for work? Naiklah cab (I had my first taxi ride in JB kelmarin. I had fun reading all the way home. But that’s another story) Kena pindah Dubai? Why not? If nothing else, setidak-tidaknya dapat learn new culture. Putus cinta? Why bother? Move on and scream NEXT! Heh. When change occurs, be it something good or bad, adaptive people will always land on their feet! Baguslah jadi adaptive people, mesti sangat tenang.

I cannot safely say that I am easily adaptable. I like everything to be mapped out. But I don’t actually go berserk if something in my schedule becomes out of order. I’m moderate I guess, yeah I’m dull like that.

Nak adapt dengan manusia dan environment pun satu lagi hal. It’s a challenge, for some people, including myself sometimes. There’s a fine line between adapting and forgoing our self, I think. Kena pandai-pandailah adjust. Adapt, tapi jangan sampai let go of your true self. Nenek moyang kita dari dahulu kala lagi dah pesan, “Masuk kandang kambing mengembek, masuk kandang harimau mengaum.” (Good one, ancestors! Definitely much better than your “Jangan sampai pisang berbuah kali” advice)

At my previous firm, my crowd adalah bekas budak-budak UIA yang mengagumkan. Contoh: Kano ialah Naib Presiden MPP (kan, Kakak?) dan Suhail adalah bekas Presiden PKPIM. Saya pula bekas kutu rayau UiTM yang suka merambu dan berpeleseran di shopping complex. But we adapted to each other and became good friends.

Sekarang, rakan baik saya di firma ini is a self-proclaimed shopaholic yang stylish dan must have all the must-haves of the season. Dia juga rasa saya manusia gila sebab suka sangat baca dan beli buku when she doesn’t even read the news. Although we are almost as different as the day and night, ours is a friendship that works, because we accept and adapt to each other.


Saya merapu saya tahu. But I just want to get my points across. Faham kan? Bahawa we are creatures of adaptation? Bahawa if we make some effort, we can adapt to different situation, people and lifestyle? Bagus.

Jadi, untuk hidup yang lebih tenang, don’t sweat the small stuffs dan mari kita jadi adaptive people (I seem to be very fond of this term walaupun tak tahu kesahihannya?) Dan yang paling penting, Rasulullah SAW yang kita cintai itupun dah kata: “Sungguh mengagumkan urusan orang mukmin, semua perkara baginya baik belaka, semua ini tidak didapati oleh orang lain kecuali orang mukmin: Jika dia mendapat kesenangan, dia bersyukur, maka itu baik baginya, dan jika dia ditimpa kemudaratan, dia bersabar, maka itu baik baginya.”

Tayar pancit? Apa susah? Suami kan ada! Ngeh ngeh.

No comments: