Thursday, August 24, 2006

"You should listen to your heart, and not the voices in your head" - Marge Simpson


The other day I watched The Simpsons (Picture: courtesy of www.duffzone.co.uk/) with Little Bro. I cried. This is the episode where Lisa went to get her palm read. Ramalan masa depan tentang cinta Lisa, yang hampir-hampir membawa kepada perkahwinan. Sila jenguk dialog menarik at the wedding, di bawah:


I cried at this point:

Homer: Little Lisa, Lisa Simpson. You know, I always felt you were the best thing my name ever got attached to. Since the time you learned to pin your own diapers, you've been smarter than me.
Lisa: Oh, Dad.
Homer: No, no, let me finish. I just want you to know I've always been proud of you. You're my greatest accomplishment and you did it all yourself. You helped me understand my own wife better and taught me to be a better person, but you're also my daughter, and I don't think anybody could have had a better daughter than you.
Lisa: Dad, you're babbling.
Homer: See? You're still helping me.


And clapped my hand here:

Hugh (hubby-to-be): This has been quite trying. You know, I've attempted to enjoy your family on a personal level, on an ironic level, as a novelty, as camp, as kitsch, as cautionary example. Nothing works. Frankly, I'll be quite relieved when we get back to England and we won't have to deal with them.
Lisa: Are you saying we won't see my family again?
Hugh: Well, possibly your mother will come when the children are born.
Lisa: I can't believe I'm hearing this. I don't want to cut my family out of my life.
Hugh: Really? But Lisa, you're better than this place: you're like a flower that grew out of a pot of dirt.
Lisa: That's a horrible thing to say!
Hugh: Well, come on, you complain about them more than anyone.
Lisa: Maybe, but I still love them! And I don't think you understand that. (Walks out, leaving the ring in Hugh's hand]


The conclusion:

Little Bro was amused at my intensity for The Simpsons. After all, it was supposed to be a comedy. Kah kah. Feel lah beb. You can’t take one’s family away from one. This is one of the reasons my previous relationship did not work. One could move away from home, but one will always want to be able to come back home. Sure, one may occassionally complain about one’s family, feel tired of one’s family, sedih, berkecil hati. But in the end, one will always miss one’s family when one is away, one will think of getting one’s parents nice things everytime one dapat gaji every month, one will always feel the best when one is around one’s family. In short, one will always love one’s family. No matter what.