Friday, September 14, 2012

Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” - Meryl Streep
 

Perfect housewives like Bree (thank God she's just a fictional character) and perhaps Martha Stewart makes me feel inadequate. Oh yes, my mom too. I don’t remember our house ever being unkempt, even when we were small, she serves flawless home cooked meal every single day, and the worst thing is she is always cantik and well-dressed, even at home. You can never see her in t-shirt gedebeh with kain batik kusam, no no no, always impeccable, yikes! So yes, women like these makes woman like me feel insufficient on so many levels.

But of course, mom and I have one huge difference between us: I don’t get to spend my siang hari at home hence leaving me with little time to scrub a dub dub and what not. I do aspire to be a supermom though; one who is awesome at my day job and still manages to keep my house perfect, serves warm home cooked meals, homeschool my kid, keeps the husband happy while at the same time finding time for my own hobby and interest. Pfffttt! Impian namanya. Unless a spider decides to bite me today and makes me all mighty and powerful, I have to accept the fact that I am just human and there is nothing super about me.

 

I used to be anal about so many things but I am mostly cured now. Now that I have a toddler on top of my pecah otak job, I have learned to accept the facts that: (a) My house is never going to be spotless 24/7 (unless if my imaginary maid turned reality one day); (b) It’s OK for me to not cook every day and I think (and hope) my family is never going to despise me for this; (c) There will be days (or nights) when I don’t feel like cleaning or doing the laundry and I should not feel too bad about it (who am I kidding, the OCD in me cringe every single time); (d) My kitchen and toilets don’t have to be squeaky clean so it is OK for me to just clean as I go; (e) I can make Hadi cleans up after his own mess by making it a fun task, macam main game Siapa Cepat Masukkan Toys Dalam Box! although on most days, I’d end up main the game by myself. Sigh T___T

I do wonder though, how some working moms manage to keep their house impeccable all the time. What’s their secret? Little elves? Girl scouts bunian? Kerahan tenaga husband and kids? Minuman tenaga Kacip Fatimah? I found this Hilarious House Cleaning Tips for New Mothers article on Breastfeeding.com, but “if you're a Martha Stewart type of housekeeper, this is not for you.” Hehe. So ladies, do you have a secret? Share them with me!
 
 
 
Story of my life T___T
 
 

12 comments:

... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AyinEmran said...

Darlene is cute.

Marliza Radzi said...

Darlene, Season 2 is just as awesome if not better! Suffering from Suits withdrawal myself, huwaaa!

Nida Shaari said...

Rahsia kakak ialah suami kakak banyak tolong buat kerja rumah like cuci bilik air, laundry, vacuum+mop lantai, mengemas + buat air kalau ada tetamu - tanpa wujud unsur-unsur kerahan tenaga.. Alhamdulillah.. hiks

Marliza Radzi said...

Ezany: Same here, selalu berangan tapi end up atas katil. Haha.

Kak Nida: Lucky you ;) Your house must be spotless 24/7!

... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marliza Radzi said...

Darlene, why is your blog only opened to invited readers? *sulk*

Moose said...

oh guilty as charged. i can certainly vouch for pic #2

... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marliza Radzi said...

Hahahaha! Comel gila.

ME! said...

Am, Barney has this song "Clean-Up Song". So whenever I wanna get my little girl clean her toys, I get her to sing with me AND keep her toys! She seems to think it is a fun chore IF the song is sang while cleaning up the toys and you know, a bit of dancing along the way! Wanna give it a go? Note: Mine is a girl, not a hero so, yah

Marliza Radzi said...

Hadi doesn't even watch Barney anymore. He's in superheroes phase right now T___T